Chairman of Boryeong Mud Festival Organizing Committee & Mayor of Boryeong city
Kim Dong Il
“HAVE A MUD-TASTIC TIME WITH BORYEONG MUD FESTIVAL THIS JULY!”
Brazil has Rio Carnival and Spain has La Tomatina, but what about Korea? Glad you asked! We have something even better - Boryeong Mud Festival.
It is the one and only festival where you can make your childhood dream of rolling in the fresh mud come true (if you didn’t have this dream then – you will definitely have it now, trust me). Boryeong Mud Festival is the hottest global event where you can forget about your stressful adult life, frolic in the mud and spend a carefree weekend with your new friends. Chill in the mineral rich mud baths and chase the summer heat away!
Mud is not the only thing that will be waiting for you. You can always enjoy the romantic scenery of Daecheon Beach together with your special someone or swim in the crystal-clear sea after a long day of rolling and splashing in the mud. Then rock the night out at one of the many beach party venues to your favorite K-pop and EDM beats!
If it already doesn’t sound like heaven, add a frosty cold can of beer to your hand and voilà – the recipe for the best adventure in Korea is ready!
Why are you still here? Check out your tickets and head over to Boryeong Mud Festival – the mud is calling! And we will be delighted to see you there all dirty and happy.
SPECIAL FEATURES OF BORYEONG MUD FESTIVAL
Boryeong Mud Festival is the largest global summer festival held annually in July, where everyone can enjoy the fantastic mud experience regardless of age, nationality and language. Everyone is equal under the sun (and covered in mud).
- The largest international festival in Korea, beloved by a record-breaking amount of foreign visitors
- Selected as “Korean Representative Festival” from 2008 to 2010 at the National Festival Evaluation and appointed as “Korea’s Honorable Representative Festival” from 2011 to 2014
- Most memorable event in Korea. It is an experience-based festival for people to enjoy various well-being events, including mud baths and free mud-powder massage
- A wide variety of survival mud games, including marines-style “extreme” experience and obstacle marathon held at the nearby mudflats of Daecheon Beach.
- Daytime and nighttime events, including City Tour service of the main attractions of Boryeong, night beach parties, zip-lining and much more.
- Cimbining active mud games with relaxing beach holiday. Daecheon beach boasts white sand, crystal-clear sea water and a 3.5km shoreline
- Located only 2 hours away from Seoul, the festival is easily accessible from anywhere in the country by convenient public transportation
- Designated as “Republic of Korea Global Foster Festival” in 2015-2017 by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism
Boryeong Mud Festival Awards :
- 2016 Grand Prize and Festival Directing Award in Republic of Korea Festival Contents
- 2015 Make Global Luxury Grand prize in Global Luxury Award
- 2015 Grand Prize in Republic of Korea Festival Contents
- 2014 Gold (5), Silver (2), Bronze (2) in International Festivals and Event Association (IFEA) World
- 2014 Award of Excellence in Festival (Safety Administration, Seoul Newspaper) in Republic of Korea Regional Brand
- 2013 Grand prize in Republic of Korea Festival Contents
- 2012 Gold (3), Silver (1) in International Festivals and Event Association
- 2011 Gold (1) / program, Silver (3) / poster, invitation, festival mascot products in International Festivals and Event Association
- 2010 Gold (2), Bronze (2), appointed as World’s festival city in International Festivals and Event Association
- 2009 Gold (2), Bronze (1) in International Festivals and Event Association (IFEA)
- 2007 Gold (2), Silver (1), Bronze (1) in International Festivals and Event Association (IFEA)
- 2006, 2007 Selected as Best festival by Ministry of Sports, Culture and Tourism
- 2007 1st prize in the 4th Korea Local Government Management Competition (Ministry of Government Administration and Home Affairs, Korea Times)
- 2006 Grand prize given to [ Mudrang Cosmetics ] in Korea Excellent Specialty Product (Korea Times)
ORIGINS AND HISTORY
Boryeong city is located at the coastal area in southwest of Chungcheongnam province. Boryeong has a 136km long coastline that consists of fine sea mud rich in minerals, Germanium and Bentonite, which radiate high levels of far-infrared rays and are known for the excellent effect on skin. Some researchers have even argued that Boryeong mud has more healing properties than the Dead Sea mud in Israel.
Boryeong had initiated its natural sea mud business in 1996, developing 16 mud cosmetic products, including mud packs and creams. However, the business lacked public awareness and recognition. In order to efficiently promote its products (and the city in general), Boryeong hosted its first Boryeong Mud Festival and introduced the beautiful Daecheon Beach to the world in July 1998.
- The 1st Boryeong Mud Festival was held in 1998. It lasted 4 days and included 16 programs
- Contrary to the concerns that the theme of the festival is too specific and small in scale, 30 million tourists participated. It caused a ripple effect on the local economy producing more than 350 million won of profit
- The mud festival was extended to 7 days from the 4th festival onwards
- Boryeong successfully implanted its image as “mud capital” with the festival’s growing popularity
- Having attracted the biggest amount of foreign visitors, it was appointed as the ‘Best Festival in Korea’ in 2006 and was selected as Korea’s best festival from 2006-2008 by the Ministry of Culture Tourism. It was later named Representative festival of the Republic of Korea from 2008 to 2010
- Boryeong Mud Festival was designated as "Honorary Representative Festival of Republic of Korea” since 2011 and has been titled “Global Festival” from 2015 onwards
- Since 2011, various activities such as street parade, muddy mess (머드난장), mud experience facilities, mud mob scene, night performances and more, were included
- Boryeong has been awarded the Pinnacle Award in the IFEA WORLD (International Festivals & Events Association) annually and the 17th Boryeong Mud Festival received its 10th consecutive Pinnacle Award thus being recognized as a true global festival
- In 2014, the 17th Boryeong Mud Festival was visited by a total of 329 million tourists with 280,000 international visitors producing 65.4 billion won of profit
WHAT IS MUD?
Soft, slimy, sticky mixture of earth and water
POPULAR TYPES OF MUD IN THE WORLD
- Mud from the Dead sea in Israel
- Glacial soil in Columbia beach of Canada
- Lake Baikal in Russia
- Clay mud in California
These types of mud used to be the main ingredients of Korean mud-based cosmetics.
CHARACTERISTICS OF MUD
The sea shore mud is taken from Daecheon Beach of Boryeong and processed as mud powder. Mud water is extracted, and the left-over mud powder is good for slowing skin aging, exfoliating, rejuvenating and more. These properties have an extraordinary effect on skin beauty. The OEM is produced from famous domestic cosmetic corporations that assure the sales and high quality of Boryeong products.
USAGE OF MUD
There are ancient records of mud being used in Cleopatra’s make-up, in China's cosmetics and many traditional skin beauty products and skin diseases treatments. Nowadays, mud is used as an ingredient for cosmetics, skin care products, clothing dyes, sauna, and has a broad impact on our daily life.
EFFECTS OF MUD
Generally, mud contains many effective components for preventing skin aging, as well as other natural minerals. They work especially well for improving skin vitality and elasticity and supporting young, fresh-looking complexion. Moreover, due to its gluey components, it is also invaluable for physical therapy, such as sand bath (모래찜질) and anti-bacterial sauna (억균), which are very effective in treating physical traumas.
|Ingredient||The Function and Effect|
|Far-infrard radiation||- Vitalizing cell activities, expanding capillaries, vitalizing blood circulation and metabolism, helping release various wastes from inside of skin/vitalizing cells in human body|
|Ge(germanium)||- Improving skin contraction and skin elasticity|
|Al(alumin(i)um)||- Main source material for cosmetics that help blood circulation and metabolism, eliminate wastes, help “glowing” skin effect|
|Na(natrium)||- Controlling osmotic pressure and balancing water in human body|
|Mg(magnesium)||- Helps excrete wastes, used in combination with collagen|
|Si(silicon)||- Eliminating excessive wastes and sebum in pores|
|K(potassium)||- Controlling osmotic pressure, balancing water and producing soothing effect|
|Ca(calcium)||- Detoxification and releasing stress|
|Fe(iron)||- Used in combination with collagen|